Friday, August 8, 2014

Hear the circles sing . . .

Crop circles, it seems, are no longer considered the province of the fanciful.
On the contrary, when one appeared in Bavaria last week it received respectful news coverage worldwide.

Whilst we may not know what they are, nor understand how they come into being, we now accept their reality . . .  along with our own ignorance.

I say 'our own ignorance', but that isn't strictly true.

If you'd like to watch a fascinating, science-based video on the subject, I strongly recommend that you click here.

May I also suggest that you have a look at this display of recent crop circles selected by the BBC.


However, before you do either of those things, please sit back and simply enjoy these truly breath-taking pictures.

Notice the bold, intricate designs . . . no two are similar, far less identical.

Wouldn't you agree that they intrigue, captivate and enchant?  Call me fanciful if you will, but, to me, it's as though they fill the countryside with joyous, silent music.

But, to explain why they mean so much to me, let me tell you of my own encounter.

On a window-sill in my flat lies a treasured ear of wheat.  It came from a crop circle that I was privileged to visit ten years ago . . . an experience I'll never forget.


It was the shared sense of awe and reverence that I particularly remember.  We said little as we walked along, and when we did speak it was in hushed voices.  We moved slowly, and paused frequently . . .  in many ways it was like visiting an ancient and venerable cathedral.

At ground-level you don't experience the pattern in its entirety . . .  what you do witness is the incredible intricacy of the inter-weaving stalks, what you feel is an overwhelming sense of calm, cohesion and power.

It's said that a force of energy moves through the corn stalks to make these circles and, in so doing, pierces the nodules.

In fact, if you examine a nodule of one of the bent corn stalks you'll find that it's fired with tiny holes . . .  holes that defy any other explanation.

But my knowledge of this fascinating subject is limited, you'll learn far more from the video.

Just one final thought.
These past months have been turbulent worldwide. Nations have come together to mourn the tragedy of wars past, to confront the intractability of wars present.

Wouldn't you agree that we are all in need of harmony, strength and stability  . . . qualities so graphically displayed by the crop circles?

It's a long way from Christmas, but let me misquote two lines of a favourite carol, what about:

"Oh, hush the noise, ye men of   strife,
  And hear the circles sing . . . "